You have that one restaurant where your favorite milkshake lingers in front of your eyes, whether you are staring at the menu or when you sit around at home during the summer. I often have the urge to change out of my pajamas for a large sized milkshake, but as I step outside, I take a quick u-turn after the humidity hits me. Hoping to quench my thirst, I open the refrigerator and nothing seems to really stand out. While thinking about what I can do, I decided to opt out on the option to make myself a smoothie and instead looked online for homemade milkshake recipes. Here are my favorite 5 with, of course, low calories!
1. Oreo Milkshake (212 calories per serving – 2 servings)
Popular in boba and other related stores, cookies n cream, also known as Oreo, is a flavor that many look for. Therefore, an Oreo milkshake places first on this list of milkshake recipes. Instead of buying the same exact drink with high calories at a local fast food restaurant, you can make it at home as an alternative.
- Gather 2 scoops of chocolate ice cream, 1/3 cup of milk, 2 tbsp of whipped cream, 1 tbsp of chocolate syrup and 2 Oreos.
- Blend until smooth and foamy.
- Divide milkshake between two glasses.
- If needed, spray whip cream and sprinkle crushed Oreos as a topping!
2. Strawberry Milkshake (187 calories per serving – 4 servings)
A classic flavor, a strawberry milkshake is always one of the safest choices for it is easy to make and satisfies your fruity cravings. Made with only three ingredients, it is hard to pass by this extremely amazing milkshake recipe!
- Gather 1/2 cup of milk, 1 pound of strawberries and 1 pint of vanilla ice cream.
- Blend for 10 to 15 seconds; it is okay if some pieces of the strawberries remain!
- Divide between four glasses.
3. Blueberry Soy Milkshake (175 calories per serving – 3 servings)
Make your milkshake even more healthier by using soy milk! Blueberries are known for its many health benefits, so nothing should stop you from mixing up the following ingredients for the perfect shade of blueberry! As a further note, it is recommended that one uses frozen blueberries instead of fresh ones in order to produce that of a smoother drink with brighter color.
- Gather 2 cups of frozen (unsweetened) blueberries, 1 cup of soy vanilla yogurt (softened) and 1 1/2 cup of low-fat soy milk.
- Process in a blender until smooth and serve immediately.
4. Chocolate Peanut Butter Milkshake (130 calories per serving – 3 servings)
Just reading these two main ingredients sounds fattening, and you might be questioning the low calorie in the parentheses, however, it is a true fact. Although getting into that “perfect” body shape might be important, but everyone needs that daily dose of sweets, especially during the summer!
- Gather 2 cups of ice, 1 banana, 2 cups of Silk Almond Milk (Dark Chocolate Flavor) and 2 tbsp of peanut butter powder.
- Place the following ingredients in the exact order as listed and blend until smoothly.
5. Toasted Marshmallow Milkshake (179 calories per serving – 1 serving)
Here is another mouthwatering sweet milkshake that makes me want to go make one right now, despite the fact that it requires more steps. If the fruit milkshakes did not completely catch your attention, I bet this recipe did because it certainly looks amazing; what a perfect way to end this list of homemade milkshake recipes.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray some nonstick spray before laying 1/2 cup of mini marshmallows on the foil.
- Broil for a minute, which by then the marshmallows will turn a golden brown; make sure to not take your eyes off it because even a few seconds can cause it to burn badly.
- While the marshmallows cool, pull out a tall glass. Combine 1 tsp of sugar-free French vanilla powdered creamer with 1 tbsp of hot water and stir until it dissolves.
- Gather the creamer mixture (step 4), 1 cup of crushed ice, 1/2 cup of light vanilla soymilk and 1/3 cup of fat-free vanilla ice cream.
- Leaving 4 marshmallows, put the remaining into the blender with the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend until smooth.
- After pouring into a glass, add the 4 mini marshmallows as the finishing topping.
If these milkshake recipes aren’t enough, do the research to find your own “to-go” homemade milkshake! I found these 5 varied milkshakes to be very form fitting on my summer snacks for it covers both spectrums of being both delicious and having low calories. Hope you enjoyed this list and comment below your favorite milkshake flavor or any of your own recipes that I should try!